Friday, April 3, 2009

Science Experiment gone very wrong ...

You thought your kid(s) gave you a rough time today? Here's my afternoon ...
So, during "rest time" today while the kids were supposedly sleeping, I took the monitors outside so I could get some garden work done. I started to come inside to get some flour to mark an area to dig when I saw Thomas. I knew he had been playing (at first) but he does that frequently, then falls asleep. I opened the door to walk in and I heard water running - *lots* of water. I ran into the bathroom thinking the toilet was overflowing - and saw water dripping from the ceiling. Uh-oh! I ran upstairs, slipping in the hallway where there was also water dripped through, and found the bathtub completely overflowing(!) I couldn't get ahold of ANY of my peeps - not Clay, not Rob, not my dad, not Clay's dad, and *finally* talked to my mom but she had no idea what to recommend for cleanup! Gah! I sent Thomas to his room, started mopping up what I could with towels, and the phone rang. It was Rob, who went searching for Clay for me - apparently I was doing just what I should, thankfully. Their first reaction was "Is Thomas ok?" Which, OMG, I hadn't even thought of (since I had seen him before ever hearing the water). But seriously - what if, what if, what if?!
Apparently this was all a science experiment - Thomas wanted to know what happens when the bathtub fills all the way up (!), and then decided he wanted *me* to turn off the water (he couldn't figure it out) but got distracted and started playing rather than coming to *tell* me I was needed ...
It was a long day.

4 comments:

Golden Girl said...

You know what surprises me more than the fact that Thomas knows how to turn on the water for the bathtub? The fact that neither you nor your brothers ever did the same thing!

Glad everyone/everything is okay.

gma12 said...

Well, all I have to say to that little (okay, not so little) episode is that you should be very thankful you don't have matches available (I hope) since we had two* who loved to play with matches and it was just lucky for us one of them didn't burn down an entire house! It was bad enough that the bathroom and hall were very damaged. Make sure you don't have matches in the house and maybe Thomas is going to be a great scientist some day.

Jenn said...

Scientists...honestly...

Jill said...

His first chemistry experiment! Too bad you didn't know you were his assistant! :)