Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Big Kids

Beth had her first solids yesterday! I could hardly believe how she was devouring everything, she ate the whole serving I fixed for her and opened her mouth every time I brought the spoon nearby. When I wasn't going fast enough for her, she was making grabs for the bowl to take care of herself - she's like Thomas's polar opposite when it comes to food.
Thomas started making some more friends today; we went to playgroup and met about a dozen more kids, about 4 of whom were all boys born within a month of Thomas. Apparently we're the only ones that are planning on preschool this fall - everyone else was feeling like their kids aren't ready yet and aren't planning on sending them to kindergarten when they turn 5 either. I couldn't believe it - I might not be ready for Thomas to be grown up enough to go off to school by himself, but that's just because I'm still in shock that he's not Beth's size still. I've gotten a lot more used to the idea lately, but it's still hard to realize he's as big as some of my preschool-aged swim lesson kids were back in the day. I love that he's growing up, but I wish time didn't pass so quickly! To be fair for the other kids though (and this isn't just my bias) he's a bit more advanced so maybe they really aren't ready for preschool.
Baby Peter has a new mommy - Beth has adopted him! I didn't think she'd be interested (Thomas likes him but does just as well ignoring his existence as he does playing with him) but she was ticked and he was nearby. I handed him to her and she played with him for a good 10 minutes before losing him (he's a pretty big baby doll, so I'm surprised she could support him for as long as she did). If I find it hard to believe that Thomas is growing up so fast, it's even more difficult that Beth is already old enough to play with dolls. I'm enormously proud of both my kids (what mother isn't?) but it makes me a little sad too! I never realized how true it is when women who have been moms for decades tell us newbies, "They grow up too fast!"

1 comment:

Alicia & Lee Harris said...

I can't believe that when I met you there weren't any kids! They are growing so fast! Thanks for your wedding comments, I didn't realize how much I missed our friendship until we started talking again!