Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Life

So, lately I've been blah. No news to my 3 regular readers (shout out to Jenn, Jill, and Mom), it keeps me posting, which keeps me sane, but worth saying all the same. Because apparently, I'm not alone. Here's yesterday's post from one of my favorite blogs:

Mayor of Dullsville

I feel boring.

I feel so boring I can't even adequately explain how boring I am. Possibly that is because everyone reading this is over six years old, and I no longer have anything to say to people over six years old. I do child care, and laundry, and grocery shopping, and preschool applications and precious little else. I feel like I've lost the ability to discuss anything other than children.

I don't mean that I'm unhappy, because I am enjoying the mommy thing. I just would also enjoy feeling like I had something to contribute to an adult conversation.

How do you stop being boring?


Another blogger posted a comment that I found really helpful:

A. YOU are not boring.
B. Changing diapers IS boring.
C. That does not make you a bad person. It doesn't mean you aren't a great mom just because you don't want to speak toddle-speak or talk about your kids 24/7. It means you are a grown up. And human. And INTERESTING.
D. To combat this, I read about other people's lives (novels as well as blogs). I listen to NPR. And I started something on my blog called Thinky Thursday where I made a promise to myself to write one post per week about something that had nothing to do with children or housekeeping in any way. It pushes me to engage with ideas out there in the world, and to have little conversations about them. And since I started that, I have found myself starting those conversations with my friends in real life too. This helps a little.
E. We ALL feel this way. It comes and goes and is a normal part of having very young kids I think. I'm sending some hugs, for whatever that's worth.


So, I'm going to try Thoughtful Thursdays (sorry, but "Thinky" is a little too kiddish for a day devoted to NOT posting about kids). Which means Beth is getting bumped to Saturdays (so there's something to look forward to every couple days rather than everything happening at once, and the alliteration goes better this way). See how boring I am? I have so much "bore" that I consider the alliteration of my titles.
Since I will not be posting about it tomorrow, I'll have to say today that we're hosting playgroup tomorrow and then post about it Saturday. And Beth discovered yesterday how to use her voice on purpose, and today I heard her chuckle for the first time. Clay claims she's done it before, but I kinda think he's full of it.
Clay's dealing with a serious academic misconduct at school, I feel really bad for him - he had a really miserable day today where he had to confront his Problem Child and the Child With Problems. (PC being the problem, CWP being the ?inadvertent? provider of copy material.) The s**t hit the fan last Thursday when he caught it in the first place, and he's been consulting with deans and such since then finding out procedures and all. For one of the first times ever, I think my job will be easier than his over the next few weeks.
Thomas was pretty good today, he was thrilled that Henry and the rest of the playgroup are coming over tomorrow, so maybe that influenced his behavior this evening just a bit. And here's a cute tidbit from when Clay got home, complete with grammar:

Clay: It's my Thomas! Hi! How are you?
Thomas: Hi! Thomas pretty good.
Clay: (chuckles) Are you pretty good?
Thomas: Uh-huh. (grins)
Clay: How was your day?
Thomas: It was pretty good. Thomas day pretty nice.

Clay and I were just about rolling.

To top it off, we had a showing on the house at 6:30 that seemed to go really well, here's hoping we hear back from them soon! I'm nervous to type it (don't want to jinx us!) but I think they just might be the ones. Finally! See, and I need to get over this whole jinxing thing - I know it's not real, but obviously on some level don't, 'cause it does make me nervous. I'd say I'm a dummy except that I know I'm not. Silly, maybe, but not dumb. :-)

Oh, and before I forget, a link to my flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hwdiary/

3 comments:

Scott M. Collins said...

Just a heads up that I read every post as soon as they hit my RSS ;-) It's exciting to read about your impending move!

Karen said...

Lol, ok, Scott gets a shout out too! I guess I have 4 regular readers! :-D

Golden Girl said...

You are not boring! It's just some of the day in day out stuff you have to deal with as a (wonderful) mommy of two children can get boring. I definitely had several years of same ol'-same ol', but be thankful that you have strong support from friends and family. And just think!!!! You will soon be even closer to family!!! Can we say "YEA!!!!!"?